Certificate III in Early Childhood Education & Care (CHC30113)
A Certificate III in Early Childhood Education & Care provides the skills and knowledge for individuals to use workplace policies, procedures and individual children’s profiles, to plan activities and to provide care to children.
This includes working with qualified staff to facilitate children’s leisure and play activities to enable them to achieve developmental outcomes.
For Geelong programs, students are released from school on a Wednesday afternoon, with Ballarat and Bacchus Marsh students attending their RTO on a Thursday afternoon.
Work placement times are scheduled around school timetables and industry requirements.
Units of work include
- Ensure the health and safety of children
- Provide care for children and support their development
- Work within a relevant legal & ethical framework
- Apply first aid & contribute the OHS processes
- Identify & respond to children at risk
- Interact with children & provide experiences to support children’s play & learning
- Develop an understanding of children’s interests & developmental needs
- Support behaviour of children & young people
- Work effectively with families to care for the child
- Participate effectively and support inclusive practices in the workplace
Typical work placements
- Childcare Centres
- Occasional Care
- Outside School Hours Care
Typical duties at work would include
- Assist staff in planning, preparing material and setting up the play environment
- Assist staff with conducting and supervising children’s activities
- Interact and be actively involved with children as individuals and in groups assisting them to cope with daily routines and to develop their basic skills
- Provide a safe and secure environment for children and share responsibility for the hygiene of children and appropriate cleaning and food handling practices
- Assist in developing responsible behaviour and ensure appropriate interactions between staff and children