Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a school-based Apprenticeship/Traineeship?

Simply complete and submit an Application Form to Pathways Education & Training. This includes the signatures of a parent/guardian as well as your school representative. This is usually your SbAT, VCAL, VCE or VET co-ordinator.

What is the time commitment for a student undertaking a school-based Apprenticeship/Traineeship?

The minimum hours for students undertaking a school-based Apprenticeship/traineeship is 13 hours a week (excluding holidays). This consists of seven hours of part-time employment and six hours of training per week. Students are required to be in employment and/or attending structured training for a minimum of one day per school week.

Do I get paid to attend the workplace?

Yes, you receive an award wage subject to your year level. You will be paid each fortnight subject to you completing and submitting your timesheets to the Pathways Education & Training representative, as required.

If a student (15 years and over) wants to undertake a school-based Apprenticeship/Traineeship, do they have to be enrolled in the VCAL as their senior secondary certificate?

No, the student can be enrolled in either the VCE or the VCAL. Which qualification a student enrols in is an individual decision and should be discussed with parents and school representatives.

All students completing a school-based Apprenticeship/Traineeship are released from school to attend both their structured training at a Registered Training Organisation and their work placement. The work placement times are scheduled around school timetables and industry requirements.

What do I do if I have a problem in the workplace?

Initially you talk to your Pathways Education & Training representative to see if the situation can be addressed or alternatively, each region has an Apprenticeship Field Officer who supervises and regulates apprentices/trainees. Apprenticeship Field Officers are there to assist and support trainees in all aspects, including investigate disputes between trainees and employers, assist providers of training, and also to provide advice and counsel trainees and employers on training and other matters.

Apply now to register your interest!

Apply Now